Tuesday, June 10, 2008

15 Years!

As previously mentioned - Alan and I celebrated our anniversary a couple of weeks ago. Shannon tagged me to answer some questions about our wedding day. I will try and remember what I can.



1. What day were you married?

May 22, 1993



2. Where did you get married?

Mesa, Arizona Temple



3. Who proposed and how?

Alan proposed on March 22nd, 1993 (you read that right - we got married exactly two months later), but I was pretty sure he was breaking up with me. Alan's family had moved to Salt Lake while he was on his mission. A few months after he got home, he decided to move to Arizona to start dating me for real. He got a job and moved in with one of my brothers. It wasn't the best situation and I knew Alan didn't really love the living arrangements. He was at my house a lot and I just knew that we were really in love and that this was the real thing. He asked if he could use our phone and call his parents in Utah. He wanted to be alone to do it so I left the room. He talked to them for a couple of hours. I went in to check on him once and tears were running down his face, I didn't try and hear what was going on - I just knew that he was moving back to Utah and that he was going to break up with me.



When he finally got off of the phone he asked me if we could go out back and talk. We both sat on the diving board by the pool and no one said anything for what seemed like forever. I figured he was working up the courage to give me the bad news. Then all of a sudden he got on his knees and asked me if I would be his wife. I was so relieved! We went in the house and woke up my parents and told them. We called my younger brother (Alan's best friend) and told him and my Grandma came out to see what all of the commotion was about. She had a mother-in-law apartment attached to our house. It was a special night. Not to be a downer or anything but my Grandma died in her sleep the next day - it was a crazy time to be newly engaged but I was glad that I had Alan for support.



4. How long were you engaged?

Two months.



5. What was the favorite part of your wedding day?

I don't know if I can pick just one. I loved being in the temple with all of my brothers and sisters, and with so much of Alan's family that came down from Utah for the wedding. I loved our wedding luncheon - we had it in small Chinese food restaurant that Alan and I went to all of the time. They closed it down for us and put on huge buffet - we loved it! I think some of Alan's family thought it was crazy - all of the wedding luncheons they have are in much more refined places. I loved our reception at my parent's house, there were tables set up by the pool and there was delicious French cheeses, breads and fresh fruit. We had a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and lemonade made from lemons from our own trees. My parents don't live there anymore so when I look at my wedding pictures - I have great pictures of our old house as well.



6. What would you change if you could?

Nothing really, I guess that I wish I would have enjoyed the party more. We had a second reception a week later in Salt Lake City and I was much more relaxed at that one.



7. What were your wedding colors?

Purple and teal with lots of ivy and grapes everywhere (it was 1993!)



8. Do you remember anything special from your ceremony?

I cried a lot. Alan cried some too. All of the very special people in our lives were there. My stake president (Craig Cardon) came up to me afterwards and thanked me for setting a good example for his daughters. That made me cry more - I had taught some of his kids in primary before my mission and one of them in Young Women's after I came home.



9. Were you clean or messy when you cut the cake?

Clean - we didn't even cut it - we pretended and then we fed each other a piece of sheet cake that was already cut.



10. Where did you go on your honeymoon?

Cancun, Mexico. We were there during a tropical storm - it was pretty exciting. When we got to Salt Lake for our 2nd reception everyone kept asking us why we weren't very tan - we blamed it on the tropical storm!

5 comments:

One Sassy Mama said...

Yay - you are back! Better than ever!
Now it's time for my too busy to blog slump - hehe. I thought life would slow down w/the kids home for summer break -- & all it's been is ortho/dentist appts, swim team and more swim team--not to mention with the kids home - I don't even get a turn on the computer!
PS love the wedded bliss - Alan looks 12 and you look 16 - tehee! You could totally be from Bluffdale!

Cheryl said...

Not to be a downer, but you wrote that your wedding date was in 1995 --you might want to change that. :)

What fun! I love your story. It's fun to see pictures, too and remember the styles of the 90's. Those were the days!

Pam said...

Love all the cute pictures and stories of your wedded bliss. Isn't it funny to look back and see how young you really were. I know when I look at mine I think wow we look like teenagers still and why can't I be that skinny again. :)

Jolene said...

Cheryl - thanks for the heads up on the date. That would have been awkward since my twins were born in January of 1995.

Nic - thanks for making me FOUR years older than Alan! Being two years older is bad enough. While we were having our wedding luncheon, everyone was standing up and saying nice things about us and my Dad got up and told everyone that I met Alan when I was babysitting him. He did look really young for his age!

Pam - If I could only have that body again! I actually lost even more weight after we got married. All of my brothers were always teasing us about getting too much exercies... naughty.

Scribbit said...

We're hitting 16 next Thursday and can relate to a lot of the items on your list--our honeymoon was a bit of a disaster I'm afraid :) Oh well, the marriage has been good so no complaints :)