Wednesday, August 22, 2007

WFMW - Food Group

I haven't posted anything in a little while. I was actually going to talk about my new food group last week for a Tasty Tuesday - and didn't. Then I was going to do it last Wednesday for WFMW - but didn't. I don't know what has happened in the last week - nothing cataclysmic - but I have been away from my computer a lot.

So, for Works for Me Wednesday I want to tell you about my new food group. So far it is AWESOME! There are four of us in the group - We meet each Tuesday and trade meals. I am loving it. We each make four of the same meal and meet together and trade. The meal I am going to make for everyone - I make for my family on Monday night - then I can work out the kinks, the baking times etc... I don't really follow recipes and make up a lot of things as I go so I need that day to really refine. Then I make it or put it together for three other families on Tuesday and we trade.

We have a couple of rules. The meals have to be able to feed families. We all have about the same size families. Two of us have 4 kids, the other two have 5. When you assemble a meal it has to take only 10 - 15 minutes of prep. All of the vegetables should be cut etc... We try and do as much ahead as you can so that we don't have to do much the other nights. One of the families doesn't really like onions so we just leave it out of their meals. But that is it - it is so simple and it is great to have dinner planned on Monday and then everything I need to put together dinner on Tues, Wed, and Thursday.

Last week I made lasagnas for everyone. That was a lot of work - but it is a crowd pleaser. One of the girls made a chicken tortilla soup that my family loved. One made these incredible Salisbury Steaks with mashed potatoes and gravy. It was so tasty- we loved it and then yesterday when we were meeting I found out that it is a Weight Watchers recipe! Bonus! I have to admit that I "re-purposed" the other meal. I just used the ingredients for something I knew my family would like.

This week I put together everything for the families to make a chicken and stuffing crock-pot dinner. That was so easy to put together - it kind of feels like cheating. I picked up from the other girls a chicken and broccoli Alfredo (we ate it last night - it was great), stuff for French dip sandwiches (a crock-pot dinner), and chicken crescent things (we call them chicken pillows).

So that is something that is really working for me right now. Working for me and I don't have to do a lot of work. What could be better?

2 comments:

One Sassy Mama said...

Jo -I love the idea of your fancy food group. Everyone that I know who is in one believes it to be truly magical! If only someone would start one up in my neighborhood then I'd do it - but alas I'm too lazy to get it going on my own.

Rhonda said...

That is a great idea! We just did an Entrees made easy run, but now I'm wondering if I could talk my sisters into doing something like this. You also made me hungry with all of those meals that you listed, I might have to hit you up for some recipies.